10.16.2008

Popeye the Sailor Man. Gopher Spinach. 1954.



I loved Popeye the sailor man as a youngin' and have recently got back into it as the show has more meaning to me now... kinda in the same way that Dr. Sues books has different/deeper meaning when reading them as an adult. Popeye was one of the first 'food education' TV programs for kids...Popeye grows big and strong by eating spinach... his 'friend' Olive Oyl is named after a healthy oil... Popeye calls his adopted child 'Sweet Pea'..."I yam what I yam" is Popeyes famous expression- all great subconscious healthy food messages for kids! This particular episode shows Popeye growing his own (local) spinach and how the process of producing food is much more efficient when working with nature (the gopher)... in other words Popeye was advocating organic/traditional farming. Popeye is also just a rad dude with great anchor tats... he is my inspiration for halloween this year.

No comments: