5.28.2009

Steven Shames. Photojournalist. Activist.












Stephen Shames has been creating award winning photo essays on social issues since the 1960s: Outside the Dream, Pursuing the Dream, and The Black Panthers are Aperture publications. Shames has also written+directed videos: Friends of the Children, Children of Northern Uganda, and Our Students.
He started the Stephen Shames Foundation which helps Ugandan children become leaders, by sending them go to college and providing them with everything they need. In a recent interview with Shames he revealed, "I had a rough childhood due to abusive relationships with my dad and mom (...) My work is a healing process for me. My work is also about survivors, about people, especially children triumphing over adversity." 
Steven lives in Brooklyn NY. He is one of my top favorite photographers ever.
stephenshames.com

No comments: