8.21.2009

Gordon Ball at the Emporium Gallery. Montreal.


Gordon Ball's I am sorry. Sincerely, Frankenstein opens at
the Emporium Gallery
3035 St. Antoine Ouest #74
Thursday August 27th (7-11pm)
The exhibition will also be open on Sat August 29th + Sun August 30th (12-5pm). Private viewings available by appointment from Monday August 31st to Wednesday September 2nd 2009.

About I am sorry. Sincerely, Frankenstein
'I am sorry. Sincerely, Frankenstein' is a new collection of photographs by Montreal-based photographer, Gordon Ball. Depicting self-destruction in relation to the social order, in both a fantastical and journalistic capacity, 'I am sorry. Sincerely, Frankenstein' is Ball's first solo exhibition in Montreal in over 2 years.

Artist Statement
In 1994, I started photographing my teenage friends- doing drugs for the first time, stealing booze from their parents, fighting security guards at skate spots, skinny dipping with chicks, experiencing 'first love', etc. However, in recent years I moved away from this candid, personal documentary style of photography as I was increasingly photographing for corporate clients. And, it left me feeling somewhat unfulfilled.

This exhibition represents a photographic return to a subject matter and style of photography that I originally started out with. It all takes cues from a quote I once heard that, "we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us"- something that I genuinely believe to be true after working on this project." - Gordon Ball

About Gordon Ball
It could be argued that Montreal-born photographer, Gordon Ball was genetically predisposed to practice photography. A third generation photographer, he is the son of Doug Ball, a two-time National Newspaper photography award winner- which explains why Gordon began photographing at a very early age. In his teens, he documented both skate and punk culture, was published the world over in album layouts and publications, then attended OCAD on a scholarship. Ball has since exhibited numerously across Canada, been commissioned to photograph for Nike, Audi and IMG and, been published in Dazed and Confused, Spin and Penthouse.
gordonball.ca

*Presented by The Emporium Gallery, Switzerland CS and Bierbrier
theemporiumgallery.com

No comments: